Durning Road Fire & Police Station
A project to fire the imagination!
The two historic buildings have been retained because of their local importance, architecturally and socially. Now that new housing is springing up in the area, Liverpool City Council is seeking to find a new use for these buildings so that they can once again play a role in the local community.
The Fire Station was built in 1884 as a Police and Fire Station, with some police officers acting as 'Fire Bobbies' as well as being on the beat. The station closed in 1976 and was converted into tyre fitting garage. It has been empty since 2003 and severely fire-damaged. In 2009 the City Council implemented emergency repairs and mothballed the building. The existing building is capable of providing approximately 168m2 (1,800sq ft) of accommodation over two floors. There is potential to add an extension and provide car-parking to the rear.
The Shipperies pub was built to accommodate visitors to the International Exhibition of Navigation, Travelling, Commerce and Manufacture (known as the Shipperies Exhibition) which held in the nearby Exhibition Hall on Edge Lane in 1886. License registers record the names of several early publicans and then in 1903 the owner was recorded as 'Peter Walker of Warrington and Robert Cain & Sons Ltd'. The Shipperies remained as a Cains pub for many decades but was sold off by the brewery (in the 1980s?) and continued to trade as a freehouse until 2010. It has three interconnected rooms on the ground floor, served by a central bar, and residential accommodation on the two upper floors. In total it contains approximately 530m2 (5,700 sq ft) of accommodation.
Durning Road Fire & Police
Durning Road Fire Officers 1947
Durning Road Fire &
Durning Road Fire Station, 1968
Carved sandstone beastie
Window moulding corbels